Surgical abortion and medical abortion are the two main types of abortion. Many women prefer medical abortion, aka “the abortion pill,” a suitable way of terminating a pregnancy. It is because a medical abortion is a non-invasive method that ends pregnancy up to 12 weeks. Also, it carries a low risk and is 99% effective in ending a pregnancy.
If you’re willing to terminate an unwanted pregnancy of up to 12 weeks, you can buy a medical abortion kit online. Here is a complete guide to using a medical abortion kit that can help you understand better about the procedure.
What Is a Medical Abortion Kit & How Does It Work?
A medical abortion kit is a combination of two medications: mifepristone and misoprostol, to end an unwanted pregnancy of up to 12 weeks. The medical abortion kit can be used as soon as a pregnancy is seen in an ultrasound.
Very high levels of progesterone hormone are required to continue a pregnancy. The first medication in the medical abortion kit, mifepristone, stops the pregnancy from progressing by blocking the action of progesterone and breaking down the lining of the uterus. The second medication, misoprostol, also called Cytotec, is used after 24 to 48 hours. It causes uterus contraction that can result in bleeding and cramping. The result is the loss of pregnancy, like a miscarriage.
Both medications, when used together, increase the effectiveness of abortion without any side effects. Mifepristone and misoprostol can be used together, or misoprostol is used alone. You can buy mifepristone and misoprostol from any health clinic.
Steps in Medical Abortion:
The process of medical abortion involves the following:
Step 01: Consult with Your Doctor:
The first step involves a medical consultation with your doctor and nurse to receive the information about abortion methods, to make an informed decision. After deciding the suitable abortion method, you’ll be given a consent form to sign. You’ll also be given information about pre and post-abortion care.
Step 02: Mifepristone:
If you have a pregnancy of more than 12 weeks, you’ll be given 200 mg of mifepristone at the clinic. If you vomit or feel nauseous within one hour after taking the pill, consult with your doctor. Some women do not have bleeding and pain until they take misoprostol. If you experience bleeding, you should still take misoprostol.
Step 03: Misoprostol:
The first dose of 4 misoprostol tablets is either placed between the cheek and gum or in the vagina at your clinic. Another two doses of misoprostol are taken 30 minutes after the first dose. You may experience heavy bleeding and painful cramps with misoprostol. Within 3-5 days, misoprostol will soften the cervix and empty the uterus to push out the pregnancy, resulting in vaginal bleeding that may last for 12-14 days.
Passing The Pregnancy:
During medical abortion treatment, you have to monitor your bleeding by using sanitary towels. Bleeding may be heavy, light, or moderate, and that is completely normal. If you pass blood clots during the treatment, it should not be larger than the size of a lemon. You should consult your doctor if:
- If you experience heavy bleeding/flooding for 2 hours
- If you do not bleed at all 24 hours after taking misoprostol
It takes only 4 hours for some women to pass the pregnancy, but timings may vary. Almost every woman, who undergoes a medical abortion, miscarries within a few days. You will also be given codeine to relieve pain.
The bleeding should noticeably be reduced once the pregnancy passes. You may experience light bleeding or spotting until your next period.
Follow-Up After Abortion:
A follow-up appointment is important to ensure that the pregnancy has ended and the procedure is complete. Your doctor might also suggest a blood test to check for a drop in pregnancy hormone. Also, you’ll have to get the appointment in two weeks’ time.
The procedure of medical abortion proves to be effective in 99% of cases. About one percent of the cases fail to have an abortion through medical abortion kits. In these cases, women still have pregnancy tissue left in the uterus, needing further treatment like surgery for complete abortion.
You will need to be careful and look after yourself when following the medical abortion with a medical abortion kit. Over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medications like codeine can help you relieve cramps.
After having a medical abortion, you should reduce the risk of infection for several weeks. Therefore, it is recommended to not:
- Go swimming
- Have vaginal sex
- Insert something into the vagina, such as tampons or menstrual cups
- Perform heavy physical work or strenuous exercise.
Recovery & Side Effects:
It is completely normal to have cramps and bleeding during the medical abortion and can last for 12-14 days. Other side effects include:
- Temporary flashes or sweats
- Nausea and vomiting
Get in contact with your doctor if you experience these symptoms after 24 hours of taking misoprostol.
Benefits of Medical Abortion Kit:
If you’ve chosen medical abortion with an abortion kit, you can get the following benefits of medical abortion:
- For pregnancy of up to 12 weeks, no further treatment is needed after using a medical abortion kit.
- No anesthesia and surgery is required in this treatment.
- Abortion pills are less expensive than surgical abortions.
- No risk of uterine perforation.
- The process happens in a home environment.
- The majority of women consider it to be a natural process like a miscarriage.
Disadvantages of Medical Abortion:
Disadvantages of medical abortion include:
- 1-2% of cases need a small surgical procedure after medical abortion using an abortion kit.
- Compared to surgical abortion, cramping and heavy bleeding last longer than two weeks.
- Medical abortion does not terminate ectopic or tubal pregnancy.
- Medical abortions are more time-consuming than surgical abortions.
Risks & Complications:
Risks and complications of medical abortion include:
- Heavy bleeding/flooding
- Blood clots remaining in the uterine
- Undetected ectopic pregnancy
- Failed abortion
- Infections like abnormal vaginal discharge
Serious complications include the following symptoms:
- Foul-smelling vaginal discharge
- Severe pain
- Excessively heavy bleeding
Where to buy the Abortion kit?
You can buy the abortion kit online with fast delivery to the United States at medside24.com https://www.medside24.com/product-page/mifepristone-200mg-1-tablet-misoprostol-600mcg-3-tablets
A medical abortion kit is an effective and safe method of terminating the pregnancy of up to 12 weeks. The kit comes with two medications: mifepristone and misoprostol. Both have to be used together to effectively pass the pregnancy. You can buy mifepristone and misoprostol online or from any health clinic.
- Costescu D, Guilbert E, Bernardin J, Black A, Dunn S, Fitzsimmons B, et al. Medical Abortion. J Obstet Gynaecol Canada 2016;38:366–89. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jogc.2016.01.002.
- Kahn JG, Becker BJ, MacIsaa L, Amory JK, Neuhaus J, Olkin I, et al. The efficacy of medical abortion: a meta-analysis. Contraception 2000;61:29–40. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.1016/S0010-7824(99)00115-8.
- Winikoff B. Acceptability of Medical Abortion in Early Pregnancy. Fam Plann Perspect 1995;27:148–85. https://doi.org/https://doi.org/10.2307/2136257.