When the computers appeared they didn’t require security. First of all, because the team of IT specialists who were interested in computers was closer to the family than to the workgroup. They shared much more than hid because the development of the sphere would be impossible. All the founders of old IT companies know each other personally from the universities or first communities and have a long history. After the extremely rapid development of the IT industry and the emergence of the PC not in every house but for every user, the question of security turned upside down and became more important than the specifications of the PC or server itself. Why did it happen? What kinds of security exist nowadays? Is it really possible to protect the information or personal data from hackers? Let’s try to find the answers to these questions and that statement of computer security importance will become obvious.
Let’s start from Affiliation, as it covers two broadest types of work programmers do with security. Starting from here, you will understand the general direction you may choose.
- Private security. Home PC with video, photos, active accounts, card details and other information seems uninteresting for the hackers. Unfortunately, this impression is wrong. To send a simple virus and claim for example for 20$ from 1,000 people is much easier than to hack a big company with a strong security department that can find you and hack you back in the way they feel is fair.
- Security of the company. Commercial information and research are the most important assets for every company. That’s why their protection is the first question if you are going to become an important member of the market. Basic antiviruses are not suitable because they don’t cover the special needs of different companies. You need to search the IT decision and use it even quicker than your system administrators will set up the network.
Types of protection
No matter which sector you choose, private or public, you will need to work with either one or both types of protection every system or organization needs.
- Physical protection. People steal things. Computers are not an exception. It is much easier to take away your laptop or server and open it without hurry than to do it with limited time. That’s why in governmental institutions or banks it is forbidden to bring or take away gadgets like flash drives, SD cards or others. Metal detectors and scanners are common and protect not only from criminals but also from employees who want to harm the company.
- IT protection. This is about virtual programs, penetration protections and network perimeter protection. A lot of traps and programs appear every minute on the internet and the IT department should be ready. The attacks can be implemented on websites (for amazon or Alibaba it is the main danger), to inside data (banks, tax offices, state registers), to national security institutions that jeopardize the whole system of the state.
If at this point you feel like you are both interested and terrified about the amount of work it all may require, we offer you to separate emotions from facts. There are many specialists working with similar tasks, and you definitely have what it re quires to become one of them. Dealing with assignments while studying is another question. If it is exactly what worries you, we also have a solution – AssignmentCore. A simple “do my computer programming assignment” request will allow you to delegate some of your coding homework assignments to professional programmers and other CS specialists. Don’t miss deadlines and learn from the best and the brightest in the field while you are getting your CS degree.
Plugging into the network
This type of computer security is important even for those, who don’t work in IT — even home networks should be checked for these factors.
- Computers with internet access. These are most unprotected and open to the world computers that need extra attention with constant updates. The simplest way to destroy every system is to connect with the internet from every point of the world and do what you need with the information. The most common mistake of huge companies is that they forget about the users who don’t have access to the EP system but have access to the network. Like the director’s assistant. Only corporate mail and calendar on the laptop should always be at hand. Different wi-fi points can let loose the level of security and open access to the whole network.
- Computers with access to internal networks. Easier to protect but harder to support in the current state. These kinds of networks are common to banks. Their back offices are not connected to the front offices who work with clients directly and do their operations without the internet but only using internal networks. It is harder to update and find immediate information for them. They have only a limited list of programs for usage and can’t change it even a little but they also can’t download a spy program that can become a critical problem for the whole system.
- Stand-alone computers without extra ports. Most protected and most old fashioned computers. Impossible to upgrade, impossible to break online. The only way to steal information is to take them away physically. There are legends about their necessity and existence. Governmental secrets and highly secured developments are on their hard drives. Let’s believe that it is impossible to hack them because we are all in danger in another way.
There are a lot of companies that present their security products every year and work only in that direction. However, they don’t give 100% protection, because hackers develop with them and sometimes even quicker. Common users complain a lot about the usability and speed of requests of the bank application, but they forget how many levels of security it consists of and that the bank is responsible for the money of billions of people.